Red Poppies

Red Poppies
"Yes, I tell you not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these…" Matthew 6:29

Art Quote of the Day

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Psalm 23



Painted for a friend, I tried to show Jesus is with us in the trails of life, hence he stands in the shadows but through his presence we can once again find rest for our souls. Jesus' shadow is a part of the tree, he left his mark on earth by dying on the cross, also called a tree and where his blood touches life is birthed as we are forgiven our sins and given a new start; a new life.

The boy is flying a kite on a summers day, without a care in the world - freedom from his burdens as Jesus' presence is with him in both the darkness and the light.


Psalm 23


The Lord is my shepherd

I have everything I need.

He lets me rest in fields of green grass

and leads me to quiet pools of fresh water.

He gives me new strength.

He guides me in the right paths

as he has promised.

Even if I go through the deepest darkness

I will not be afraid

for you are with me.

Your shepherd's rod and staff protect me.


You prepare a banquet for me

where all my enemies can see me,

you welcome me as an honoured guest

and fill my cup to the brim.

I know that your goodness and love

will be with me all my life,

and your house will be my home

as long as I live.


(Good News Translation Bible)



4 comments:

  1. Eve, I love your use of symbolism. The Catholic Mass is full of symbolism. It's so beautiful when you understand what everything means. Good job, good thought, I'm sure your friend will enjoy it. By the way what is growing under the tree and what kind of flower or leaf is making up the red trail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loree,

    Poppies, the flow of poppies from Jesus' feet represents his sacrifice of blood, his death on the cross; a red flower that is often associated with remembering the first World Wars as they represent the blood lost from the soldiers...


    - * -

    During the Second Battle of Ypres a Canadian artillery officer, Lieutenant Alexis Helmer, was killed on 2 May, 1915 by an exploding shell. He was a friend of the Canadian military doctor Major John McCrae.

    John was asked to conduct the burial service owing to the chaplain being called away on duty elsewhere. It is believed that later that evening John began the draft for his famous poem 'In Flanders Fields'

    - * -

    In Flanders Fields
    by John McCrae, May 1915


    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

    We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

    Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

    http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not an artist. Never have been, and probably will never understand the full meaning behind works of art. But (big BUT) your art, and especially the expressions of your work and interpretation is good, but not only good, moving. God is using you, no doubt. If I can see it, as a non-arty person, so will many others. God Bless you, David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, thank you so much for your words I am stunned... wow! God bless , Eve x

    ReplyDelete